ACM-Q @ UC Website Redesign As the Secretary/Webmaster of UC's chapter of ACM-W, I created a new website to replace our outdated website which was hard to maintain. Although this is a work in progress, I used GatsbyJS and React (with html) to build the website and it is hosted through GitHub pages.
This is my first personal web development project. While there is so much space for me to improve, I have also learned the basics. At my co-op, I used Bootstrap and Knockout so this project required me to look at other web tools to see what would be easy to learn for future webmasters and how to make the website simple to update. This has also inspired me to consider moving my personal website off of Weebly and develop it myself, which I plan to do by March 2021.
Grade calculator for MATH1061 class For my CS2021 class I took in my first semester at UC, I was tasked to create any project with Python and libraries. I decided to come up with something that could be useful for me in some other aspect. Because the online textbook system for my calculus class wouldn't send the grades over to UC's LMS (learning management system) until the end of the semester, there was no way for me to know all my grades at any point in the semester. Therefore, I created a grade calculator that would take an html file with the contents from my online homework assignments, parsed and cleaned the data, asked the user for inputs (exam grades) and returned my expected grade in the class.
This project helped me explore an area that I had not as much experience with (parsing, libraries), combined with the skills I gained in the class to deliver a finished item. I learned a lot about the capabilities of Python. I relied on online resources such as Stack Overflow and documentations on the lxml library, which increased my ability to use resources.
TechOlympics 2017 During my CS2 class my junior year, we were tasked with creating a project to submit to the TechOlympics showcase competition. Some of our personal goals were to show a demo-able coding project with a social impact and real user need. We decided to create an emergency drill simulation geared towards early childhood students, who may just be learning about fire drills or active shooter drills and feel frightened. Through the simulation, students would be able to practice going through the motions of the drill without the scary alarms or flashes that would normally be experienced. In this way, students would know what to do and may even be less scared. We worked with the principal and other officials of one early childhood school in my district to create the simulation for the students there.
We created the simulation in Unity. Because I was a beginner at coding at the time, the more advanced coders on my team worked on the development side of the project. I created the visuals for the school, which was based on the actual school, so that the visuals would be recognizable to the students. I worked closely with the team member who created the models in Unity to make sure the graphics I created in Adobe Photoshop looked the way they were supposed to. My team worked well together to accomplish the goals stated above. As a result, we took home the first place prize for the Showcase competition and presented our project at TechOlympics.